Monday, February 8, 2010

Expressions Of Love

The Reader Of Compliments.....One smile from her lips will never be forgot,
It refreshes, like a shower from a watering pot.
She's my myrtle, my geranium,
My honey suckle, my tulip, my violet,
My holly hock, my dahlia, my mignonette.

She's my snowdrop, my ranunculus,
My hyacinth, my gilliflower, my polyanthus,
My heart's ease, my pink water lily,
My buttercup, my daisy lily, my daffydown dilly.
~From "The Broken Hearted Gardener,"
a nineteenth-century ballad

One of my lovliest of all possessions, is an old book titled Compliments. It is a treasury of tributes to friends and lovers, relatives and rivals. It is a collection of the most memorable compliments from different times and many places, paid by the famous, the infamous, the obscure, and the unknown, to those they loved, respected and admired. All this week before Valentine's Day, I will post on some of these expressions of tenderness. Some are subtle and others are funny. All of us enjoy being on the receiving end of lovely compliments and genuine expressions of love. I hope you enjoy.
Blessings...... Dee Dee