Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Faces


Last evening, deep in thought as to my likes and dislikes, I discovered I'm drawn to art of the Victorian era.... faces precisely. I adore the wigs worn by women and men, and find their costumes extravagant and a "bit over the top." Blended in with my love of Folk Art, I've concluded my style of art could perhaps be "Victorian Folk Art." Is there such a thing? I wonder....What faces will I create with my drawing pencils and watercolors?

Faces of friendship
The face of singing music
The faces of hunters and fishers bulged at the brows
The shaved blanched face of orthodox citizens
The pure, extravagant yearning questioning artist's face.
The sacred faces of infants, the illuminated face of the mother of many children.
The old face of the mother of many children.
Behold a Woman! She looks out from under her Quaker cap...her face is more clearer and more beautiful than the sky.
~Selected lines from poem by Walt Whitman "Faces"

Be blessed today.....Dee Dee