Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Year 2010...A New Chapter

I bought a gift for myself.....for inspiration. Two days before Christmas I found myself in Barnes & Noble's bookstore, looking for last minute gifts.....those "just a little something extra" kind of gifts. I'm not the only one in the family that likes to draw and play around with watercolor paints, so I bought two, 2010 Calendars "Watercolor" Lesson-A-Day. Weekday sketches-to paint and Weekend Examples-For Inspiration.

The calendar was a hit with the family member and, I am quite pleased with my purchase as well. I'm encouraged and excited about the year 2010, thinking positive about all my New Year's resolutions. I have the usual ones, right there in first place....eat healthy, exercise and be careful with my diet. It's okay to think about that, but life offers much more in the way of pleasure, and this year there is more and there is better. This year I have a "happy focus," first and foremost. I have decided, that now is the time to pursue, with all that is within me, my love of drawing and watercolors. I've done my homework, and I realize to be good at anything, one has to manage time wisely, and this I promise myself to do.

I am in the beginning stages(Every artist was first an amateur."~Ralph Waldo Emerson)....learning about colors and application. So far, so good.....my family members are all so encouraging, and sweetly complimentary. No criticism thus far, for they are all most kind.

Listen carefully to first criticisms made of your work. Note just what it is about your work that critics don't like-then cultivate it. That's the only part of your work that's individual and worth keeping. ~Jean Cocteau

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do.~Edgar Degas
Mr Degas, I'm still in the "having lots of fun, seemingly so easy stage." Perhaps one day, it will become difficult.....and then I, will have become a "painter."

So for the coming year I am optimistic and excited about this new chapter in my life. I'll draw a lot, arranging all that I see in some sort of patterns on all sorts of papers and materials. I will play and play and play with lovely colors. Already, the year 2010 is appealing not only to my artistic senses, but to my artistic emotions. Blessings......Dee Dee